But after that...it's wide open. I have lots of possible plans and can't seem to definitively settle on anything. Some of the races I'd like to do will fill up in the near future or have short entry windows coming up, so I need to make a choice. Help me decide! Any input on any of these races would be helpful. Depending on the dates, I might be able to do more than one of them. I'm also interested in doing a road marathon, so there's always the option to combine a road marathon (or a half) with training for one of the ultras.
- Telluride Mountain Run. August 9, 38 miles, Colorado. Hard and scenic. Pros: I have friends doing it. Cons: it's at altitude. http://www.telluridemountainrun.com/
- Run the Rut. September 13, 50k, Montana. The course looks amazing--one of the only technical mountain runs in the US. Pros: I've never been to Montana, and I love the look of the course. This one would for sure be at the top of the list if it weren't for the altitude. Cons: at altitude. Weird hunting theme going on. Could be expensive to get to Montana. http://runtherut.com/
- Le Grizz. October 11, 50 miles, Montana. Fast but scenic 50 mile course. Could be good for trying a fast 50. Pros: another option to run in Montana. Cons: maybe not the most interesting course. Also, grizzly bears??! http://www.cheetahherders.com/LeGrizz.html
- Ultra Trail Serra de Montsant. October 18, 100k, Catalunya. I was registered for this race last year but it ended up being too close after Sawtooth so I didn't do it. Pros: the course includes my very favorite running trails in the whole world, and it starts from the village I've stayed in so often for climbing (just out the front door of our rental apartment!). Cons: expensive plane ticket. Right in the middle of the autumn so it could make it hard to do another race in combination with this one. http://www.naturetime.es/index.php?arxiu=fitxa_esdeveniment&id_esdeveniment=43
- Door County Fall 50. October 25, 50 miles, Wisconsin. Road race. Pros: I'd like to see what kind of time I'd currently get in a long road race. Cons: it's a long road race! http://www.fall50.com/
- JFK 50. November 22, 50 miles, Maryland. Pros: it's a classic and really competitive. Late enough in the season that I might have time to do a road marathon in late September and then train for this. Cons: it sounds like it gets a little crowded on the Appalachian Trail section, and I can't stand crowded trails. http://www.jfk50mile.org/
- North Face 50. December 6, 50 miles, California. Basically the same pros and cons as for JFK. http://www.thenorthface.com/en_US/endurance-challenge/san-francisco-championship/?stop_mobi=yes
So that's the list...any and all thoughts appreciated, including suggestions for anything not on the list that should be!